Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Land of Contrasts

Mexico is definitely a land of contrasts. Now, this may be mainly from my perspective, since I tend to stick out pretty bad. Pretty much everyone calls me guero (blondy) except the track team which calls me tlacuache (possum - long story). Today these contrasts just seemed a bit more apparent though. For instance, in the parking lot parked beside a new VW was, no jokes, a wooden cart, complete with donkey to pull it. Then there's also the food... jalapeƱos to burn your mouth and horchata to sooth it.
In a much less funny sense, there is also always the contrast of class or wealth. It is difficult to go from within the campus, where everyone, including me, has more than enough, to just outside the campus where children beg for money.

Today was a pretty good day, I moved to a new residence, right in the middle of campus with the track team. I'm still not quite in the right room yet as they are going to shuffle a bunch of us around tomorrow. I also received a food allowance from the track team that will pretty much cover my entire food budget! My classes are ok this semester, they don't seem too heavy yet. I accidentally registered for a course in English, which makes Tuesdays and Thursdays a little tough because I now have courses in English, Spanish and German on those days. By the end I'm not really sure what language to speak. Ironically I've found that I'm having trouble saying in English some things that I say in Spanish all the time, like explaining to people why I came back or how long I'm staying. Kind of funny when the Mexican students help me finish my English sentences.

1 Comments:

Blogger RyeGuy said...

do a banana pepper + hot sauce line for me. (remember The Hangman?)

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home